Feed

MiikaHweb Blog -> Archive

Effect system finished

Sep-05-2010    12 Comments

Frozen MancandyI just finished coding "paint effects" system. Now it finally works over UV-seams well enough.

Here is a short animation demonstrating spread effect on a 3D surface: Mancandy Freeze.

In that video, paint output is simply being used as a stencil mask for ice textures.

I'm also thinking about renaming this system to "Dynamic Paint", because now you don't only paint with mesh but with particles and other stuff as well.

Posted by MiikaH at 06:49

Category:Blender, Development
Tags: Blender, Dynamic Paint, Effect

(Comments, questions or discussion about this post.)

Tobias
Sep-05-2010 09:43
StarStarStarStarStar
The possibilities with your project are endless. So many cool effects that earlier would have taken days to do, can now be done in minutes. Can't wait until your next patch comes out :-)
EverSimo
Sep-05-2010 15:49
StarStarStarStarStar
Wow!!! It's amazing!!! Will this fratures be integrated in the official Blender? It MUST BE!!!
Congratulations, Miikah!
blenderificus
Sep-06-2010 00:06
I hope this makes it into trunk, awesome work!!!!! Thank you for sharing your talents with the world
Serpent36
Sep-06-2010 00:23
StarStarStarStarStar
I'm really excited for this!

The video won't show though..
kernond
Sep-06-2010 00:23
StarStarStarStarStar
You've done some incredible things with these recent feature developments, Thanks!

However, please, don't go the way of so many new features developed in Blender where the users are left with having to figure out how to use the new tools. We need solid documentation and not mere demonstrations. A lack of proper documentation happens all too often in the Blender community and I sincerely hope that this great project doesn't go the same route.
iKlsR
Sep-06-2010 00:24
StarStarStarStarStar
waaay cool, if blender ever does get a reel, something like this should be in it!
MiikaH
Sep-06-2010 08:27
@kernond You don't have to worry about that. There won't be separate tools for "making cool ice effect" or so.

I'm trying to keep it simple, but still add enough settings / tools to allow you guys to use it for whatever you might wish to. I'm also planning to write a documentation of every setting after I have released this.

But then again. I'm as much interested in doing these effect demo videos as I'm interested in programming this tool. And to be able to use this much time developing this (without getting paid for it), I really need to have some fun by doing these demos as well. :)
max p
Sep-06-2010 17:12
this is incredible!

congratulation and thanks!
RH2
Sep-06-2010 17:25
dynamic paint sounds good :)
kernond
Sep-07-2010 02:46
Sounds great, thanks!

These tools will go great with the Reactor particles (when we get those feature back into Blender).
Reekdeb
Sep-07-2010 04:05
StarStarStarStarStar
Awesome, thanks. When it will be merged into trunk? Will it be available in 2.6
wraybowling
Sep-10-2010 01:32
StarStarStarStarDark Star
I love features that work in a simple way, but you really get a lot from them. This is certainly one of those features. Bravo.

Also, I really like the name "paint effects" because "dynamic paint" sounds too much like a physics project, and tis is certainly going to really appeal to artists that may never want to bother with anything related to what that word "dynamic" really means.

Write a comment:
Name: *
Site:
Language:
Review:
Verification Code: *verification image (?)
Message: *