Feed

MiikaHweb Blog -> Archive

Realistic rain with Dynamic Paint

Sep-17-2010    15 Comments

I got inspired by my previous paint video, so I decided to try Dynamic Paint with a bit heavier scene.

Result, Realistic Rain:

It features total 500.000 rain particles. Cool thing is that the ground visual is all material+texturing, generated with Dynamic Paint. Every single wet spot and splash is real interaction with those 500.000 particles!

Making of is quite simple: paint texture affects ground darkness and specular, plus a fast drying wetmap is used as bump texture and to add those white splashes.

This scene also helped Blender become more stable. I found a quite nasty particle system bug while trying to render this. After reporting it to jahka it got fixed. :)

Posted by MiikaH at 20:20

Category:Blender, Development
Tags: Blender, Dynamic Paint, Particles

(Comments, questions or discussion about this post.)

Mikhail P. Schalk
Sep-18-2010 02:53
StarStarStarStarStar
That's so awesome. It looked like the water was really building up on the ground. The possibilities of this just solve so many difficult effects problems.

What was the particle calculation time and render times?

You're going to need to do a tutorial on this! And all the effects this can do :P
I was thinking, you did a footprints in snow demo -if you used this for footprints in sand would there be some way to make it look like little sand particles partly collapse into the footprint after the foot leaves like would occur in real sand? Or even like simulate the effect of wind brushing back over the sand smoothing it back out. (I've got a project that involves a lot of sand+desert stuff)
This could even be good with like battle scenes as an easy way to add bullet holes or battle damage or cut wounds on skin +dirt from the battle getting kicked up...

This just continues to impress me more and more. Keep up the great work!
Big Fan
Sep-18-2010 06:58
Amazing! Wonderful! I'll take 3 gift wrapped!
peter
Sep-18-2010 14:07
This looks great man :)

MiikaH
Sep-18-2010 19:02
@Mikhail P. Schalk

There isn't (at least yet) a way to "collapse" displace maps. But I think you could fake something similar by using a spreading paint map as a mask for displace texture.

It isn't simple and requires some knowledge of Blender texturing, but it should be possible. :p
Reyn
Sep-19-2010 15:06
StarStarStarStarStar
Thanks for the proof of concept, Miika. At first it didn't seem too convincing but as the rain particles settled down, it became more and more natural-looking. However, it seemed like the movement of the water is gaining towards the center, like the plane has been elevated somewhere in the middle, or it might just be me. It would be good to see some water dripping from the shade/umbrella too. But this alone is a kick ass demo!

Thanks a lot for sharing.

-Reyn
chamanero
Sep-19-2010 19:52
StarStarStarStarStar
an tutorial men!, please!!!
wraybowling
Sep-20-2010 00:46
StarStarStarStarStar
Phenomenal! I think I understood your short explanation conceptually, but I might have to agree with everyone here: A tutorial would allow us to get our hands wet with your tool. I'm curious what the all that simple logic looks like in the GUI -- making any new feature easy to use is crucial.
Filipe Soares Dilly
Sep-20-2010 14:46
StarStarStarStarStar
Oh my god. =D

I will need this tool on one of the shorts of the Detail Library project!

Will this be integrated?
(we can pay you next year to finish this! I'm serious! Despite having to talk to others about it)
pso 3D
Sep-21-2010 14:36
StarStarStarStarStar
wow very nice !
Super Realistic perfect
Fantastic!!! :)

nevada
Sep-22-2010 04:44
good very good
RAfek
Sep-24-2010 21:10
wonderful very very wonderful

but pleas don't forget the tutorial
peter
Sep-27-2010 00:33
fantastic!!!!!!
Sam
Oct-04-2010 14:44
StarStarStarStarStar
Very good indeed! Small tutorial would be great even it's "too" simple ;)
Karthik
Oct-05-2010 18:12
A tutorial... please, please. This is awesome. It's just as good as reactor particles.
cycerus
Nov-27-2010 20:40
I WOULD LIKE RECEIVE A TUTORIAL ABOUT REALISTIC RAIN...IS IT POSSIBLE? MEY EMAIL cycerus@gmail.com

Write a comment:
Name: *
Site:
Language:
Review:
Verification Code: *verification image (?)
Message: *